Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Why wait?

I have been planning to remake myself, thinking about what form the process and I would take. During 2009, I took what I now view as steps. They were not enough. Things are going well, but I want more. This remaking will include changes to by body, mind, and spirit. I will get more fit. I will learn something new each day. I will use a positive attitude to help others.

The 2009 steps included running, but too sporadically. I ran 4 races: a 5K in March; a 10K in April; a 5K in June; and the 7.1 mile Falmouth Road race in August. Toward the end of the year, I was trying to get into a routine. It did not work too well. In November, I had my annual physical exam. I gained 8 pounds since my prior annual. They are not too much in and of themselves. However, I don’t want to make such a weight gain an annual occurrence.

I have been working at my job so many hours. Generally, it’s okay because I like what I am doing and I have enough flexibility still to spend time with my Son, who turned 6 at the end of December. I am getting quite a bit of satisfaction from my job. I am learning, but want to learn more outside my job, simply for the sake of learning.

My life has been too secluded. I have tried to reach out to others with varied success. Helping others always has been important to me. I have resolved myself, for now, to helping my Son and my 89 year old Mother. I also have to help myself because when I do I am a better woman, mother, daughter, wife, and employee.

During a recent conversation with a health care professional, I had a real awakening. I explained that life gets in the way of my running. Then, I realized that running is part of my life, and has to be fit in. Fitting me in is critical.

Several weeks ago, a neighbor mentioned running a half marathon to raise money for a charitable foundation. Wow, that would be perfect for me, and just what I need as a structure for my remaking. It will happen. I am ready. Currently, I am laying a foundation. Most importantly, I am getting into an exercise routine. There is no reason to wait. It is time to remake!

No comments:

Post a Comment