Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Back to basics - family matters

When all else fails, go back to basics.  They will carry you through more than you thought possible.

For me, basics include my family.  As the youngest of 8 children, all of whom have partners, family can be quite consuming, overhwelming, and demanding.  At times, being so busy with my own stuff, I focus less on my family.  This past weekend, I had a forced refocusing, which significantly and ultimately was for the best.

The family affair was a joyous one, thankfully, my nephew's wedding.  My Mom, her eight children, and the grown grandchildren were among the gusts.  The event was out of town, so an overnight hotel stay was required. 

The weekend was busy, but relaxing.  We talked, but we didn't.  We reconnected, but we didn't.  Mostly, we were together.  I took great comfort in that togetherness.

So much in life changes, but the underlying structure and strong foundation that a family provides can be a constant.  That's not to say that the family doesn't change, with marriages, divorces, births, deaths, break-ups, and what have you.....  In addition to physical changes, family dynamics can change depending upon where members are in their lives, as well as the nature of presented demands.  However, the bond is there.  I can be a helpful and positive one; I will let it be just that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment