Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Taking time

I took time today for something I wanted to do, with no negative impact to my boys (husband, son, and dog) and huge positive rewards to me! I need to remember that as I move forward.

On my way home from the office, I decided to stop at Dave's Marketplace to get an autographed copy of Ted Allen's new cookbook. I totally love him, and the show Chopped! I also am turning into a cookbook junkie, and acquiring this one would provide a good fix. Finally, this would make an awesome addition to the food-themed graduation gift on which I am working.

I didn't tell my husband because I didn't know if this rendezvous was possible.  However, having made good time on my commute home despite the rain, I decided that I would take a chance. The event was nicely organized! Getting the books was simple, and the wait in aisle 7 was made much more pleasant by the company and the passed snacks offered by the store's staff. The wait was not too long, and well worth it. I saw, shook hands with, conversed a bit with, and took a picture of, Ted Allen. I also got 2 signed copies of his book. The one to my son includes, "The next Chopped Champion."

When I arrived home, the boys were totally fine and I was in a much better mood than usual. Typically, on days like that, when I awake at 3:45 a.m. for a day at the office, I am definitely done by the time I get home in the early evening. However, having taken time to complete a fun task, I was oddly reenergized.  While my son completed his homework, I browsed my fun find, mentioning tons of the recipes to my husband and son as possible additions to our table.  The resulting family time was wonderful!

What may appear to be a silly or insignificant event ended up being super significant to me, in and of itself and for the benefits it provided already and will continue to provide!  For that I am grateful.  I am pleased when I can identify what I want and then take steps to make it happen….     
        

No comments:

Post a Comment