Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

awesomeness exists....

Sometimes you need to tweak the definition of awesome to realize that it exists.  Today was an ordinary Saturday with way too much to do.  However, as the day progressed, its awesomeness was revealed.  Little pleasures were sprinkled throughout the day and night, but details surrounding my long run enveloped the day's awesomeness.

The morning was devoted to the needs of my Son and Dog, and to properly fooding and fueling for this afternoon's long run.  My husband was scheduled to be gone all day, so I planned for my Son to spend a few hours with a college-aged friend.  She would make some money, by Son would have attention from someone other than me, and I would enjoy my long run. 

I dropped off my Son,  and searched for a parking place in Providence.  Thankfully, my change purse was at hand (I love it when I am organized and prepared) so feeding the meter was not a problem.  I parked in the first available spot, and set off for my 6 mile long run, which ended up being, almost literally, around the City.  My Garmin Forerunner enabled me to track my time, distance, and pace with ease.  My iPhone, with the newly added Mumford & Sons album, provided entertainment and motivation.  I simply ran, with the scenery dictating the next turn. 

While I was aware of, but not controlled by, my pace, I ended up 12 seconds off the scheduled SmartCoach program pace!  I have no idea how that happened, but it was awesome.  I know that my pace was okay for portions of my run, but I also know that I ended up on some of the City's rather steep hills that I attacked so slowly.  I thought for sure that they would totally throw me off my overall pace.  That thought, however, did not deter me because I have been reading about the value of hill training.  That value would outweigh any negative impact on my overall time, so I convinced myself.  As it ended up, that convincing was not necessary because the overall time was spot on!

Though I was alone, seeing the City's weekend activities made me feel part of them.  I discovered sights and sounds of the City of which I previously was unaware.  Most significantly, I ran well and absorbed every step along the way -- the fast ones, the slow ones, and each one in between. 

I had not planned my route, but after the scheduled 6 miles I ended up a perfect distance from my car, permitting an ideal cool down walk.  I then stopped for a quick Chai Tea Latte at Teas and Javas, where I checked my email and texted my Son and his sitter.  After a few more minutes to myself, I met them, knowing that there was still so much to the day's chores, but also feeling so unbelievably strong, renewed, and empowered from my long run on an unplanned route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment