Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pondering the power of books

I always have loved books!  Growing up, I cherished them, though I never was a fast reader.  I remember trips to the library; we didn't frequent bookstores.  Books have been a part of my life, but I am only recently realizing and accepting their power over me.

Now, at the heart of this love affair are books, I think because they are a tangible product and satisfy my need for stuff.  Really, though, my affair is with reading, words, pictures, learning, and discovering.  Partially, this is because I currently love my Kindle and newspaper/magazine subscriptions equally.

My recent read is Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton.  I was introduced to this book and author by a Vogue  article.  I was intrigued.  Then, on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, I purchased the newly released book during our ritualistic bookstore browsing at Bunch of Grapes.

Though so much of this book will stay with me, I couldn't resist recording the following:

aimlessly ambling
live at my own pace
The past should not imprison you.
get the most from myself
try to live my own life
Cafes are the finest places for people alone not to feel lonely.
foundation
focus on the task at hand
no carelessness
no sloppiness
satisfaction he derived from doing what he loved
liberating to care less about the impression I am making

Also, I was drawn to:  what I took as differing love; her running; and comparing her travels to my European travels.  Though the author is so different from me in many ways, I can make general comparisons, e.g., changes in professional focus, having two marriages, and readjusting.

I am grateful for having found this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment