Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Discovering Tempo runs

I am so fabulously surprised by the success of my tempo run.  I am well into my Runner's World SmartCoach training program, which has been perfect preparation for my next half marathon!

Today's scheduled session was 4 miles, with a 1 mile warm up and cool down and 2 miles at a 9:42 pace.  Based on my runs thus far, I didn't know how I would meet this goal.  So that I wouldn't be too concerned about my pace, as has been the case previously on the track, I decided to run at the gym. 

The first mile was slow, probably about 11:30.  I then decided to run:  1/2 mile at a 10 minute pace; 1/2 mile at a 9:31 pace; 1/2 mile at a 10 minute pace; 1/4 mile at a 9:13 pace; and 1/4 mile at a 9:05 pace.  I did it!  Then the last mile was slow, with walking at the end. 

Overall, this session was a complete success, and I did it in a way with which I was comfortable.  By my calculations, which may or may not be correct, the pace for my middle two miles was 9:45 and 9:35.  I can't believe I had it in me!  I'm glad I found it!  With 7 and 1/2 weeks remaining before my half marathon, I am in a great place!

I am grateful for my choices.  This half marathon is going to mark a milestone, just as my marathon did.  I ran Boston to celebrate my 35th birthday.  I will run this half marathon to celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary, which will be the day before my run.  This choice may not be mainstream for a 10th wedding anniversary celebration, but it makes total sense to me for so many reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment