Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Friday, October 11, 2013

pondering ... job, career, work, employment

Presently, I am quite interested in these words and what they mean.  I am intrigued by their many contexts and connotations.

I always have worked, it's just a matter of where and doing what.  I have been employed most of my life.   

Since I was 14, I had a job, which I thought of as a place to go to work in exchange for pay.  Some jobs were better than others, but each served a positive purpose.  I worked hard because I was raised to have a good work ethic.  I often viewed my jobs as a means to an end, and part of a bigger picture in which I had a career. 

That career came because I was driven.  That career went because I didn't drive it very well.

For about 6 months, I didnt' have a job or a career, but I still worked.  That work perhaps was harder than anything I had done before.  I worked to take care of my Dad during what ended up being the last days of his life.  I also worked to figure out what I next would do with my life.  I worked to figure out whether I would continue with my career, put it on hold, or do something entirely different.

I then took a job with a company.  I've been there almost seventeen years; everything's the same, but different.  The job has changed, the company has changed, the location has changed, but it's still the same.  I hadn't thought of this as my career, but perhaps I should.

How does the word employment fit in?  I am employed.  I have a job that I can call a career. 

Okay, now I am getting overwhelmed....  Add the work work to the equation, and....

I am a Mom, and, therefore, I work.  I am a daughter, wife, and family member, and, therefore, I work.  I am a woman who wants to be financially secure, and, therefore, I work.  I am a person who wants to be fit and have fun, and, therefore, I work. 

The reality is that I am working most of the time, though the details of what I am working on vary tremendously.  That's okay, and that's my choice.           

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment