Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Marathon, from 6.2 to 26.2 in 6 months

The Boston Marathon will be run this year on April 19th, the same day on which I ran it in 1999. Thoughts of My Marathon are consuming me again, as they often do. This consumption, however, unlike others in which I take part, is good for me. Memories of My Marathon carry me through tough times, and currently are providing the foundation for my remaking.

Writing about my experience has taken many forms, from the detailed journal I kept during my 6 months of training to the many journal entries since then. Presently, I want to record a few key items, and move on.

The day I completed the 103rd running of the Boston Marathon was among the best in my life. Crossing the finish line with a net time of 4:25:19 represented the culmination of so much hard work and the realization of so many dreams. I was a stronger and more confident version of myself.

I often refer to the book that I will write. It will be entitled: My Marathon, 6.2 miles to 26.2 miles in 6 months. That book, however, will have to wait, like so many other items on my life list. Right now, I will dream more dreams. I also will run and raise money. I want to take a few minutes, however, to recall My Marathon. The mechanics of that remaking is fueling my current remaking.

My Marathon remaking was a 6 month adventure. In 1998, I was running again and trying to figure out what was ahead for me. I had a good life, but I wanted more. Figuring out what that was, however, was difficult. In October, I ran the renowned Tuft’s 10K race in Boston. I ran it with a friend, who I drove home to the north of Boston. Coming over the bridge back to Boston, I decided that I would run the Boston Marathon. I immediately told my Mom, who replied, “I think you’re crazy, but I’ll be there cheering you on.” My Mom’s reaction was not completely unfounded, as I had not run more than 6.2 miles recently, if ever. Knowing that she would be there was based on other of my conquests, including passing the Bar.

Deciding to run Boston was one thing, but actually getting it done was another. I had to get a number, and then figure out how to run 26.2 miles. After researching the many organizations through which I could get a number, I decided on Judge Baker Children’s Center. That organization best fit with my needs. On the running front, I joined a gym, and was partnered with a trainer who helped me realize my dream. The necessary work was difficult, but so rewarding and worthwhile.

My reasons for running Boston were many and varied. Like so many decisions that I made during my life, this decision was based in part on my desire to please others. I was seeing a man who told me, “I like that you run. I like how you feel.” Well, I agreed with that statement. I also thought: I could run more; I could run the Boston Marathon; what would you think then? I never got a chance to find out. Things did not work out with that marvelous man. However, he always will have a piece of my heart. I also vowed that I would not allow my heart to be broken again by a man.

My 6 months of training were filled with many memorable moments, and super successes. Through my fundraising, I drew strength from the support that so many people provided. That support, and my determination, resulted in an uneventfully awesome Boston Marathon!

Though My Marathon was almost 11 years ago, the experience sustains me still.

No comments:

Post a Comment