Back to basics....

My many remakings are remarkable in their own way. Each, to varying degrees, includes body, mind, and spirit. Each requires being proactive, rather than reactive.

Running always provides the necessary rubric. Running enables me to: regroup; renew; rework; reorganize; remember; and reenergize.

Running is not static; it requires constant movement. So too do I. Running is my restorative.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mind Murmur - parenting position

You only can do what works for you, and that applies to parenting as well as to pretty much anything with which you are tasked. I spend what often is too much time trying to figure out was works for me as my parenting position.

This week, I am contemplating two books in the context of my parenting position. I admit that I have not read either of these books, though I have added them both to my way too long reading list.

The first book is, Start-Up Nation: The Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle. I listened, in podcast form, to an interview Faith Middleton conducted with co-author Dan Senor. I found this to be extremely intriguing, particularly in light of just having finished listening to The Intelligent Entrepreneur.

The second book is, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. I do not intend to purchase this book out of principle, but perhaps I will borrow it from the library. In the meantime, I am enjoying my current exposure to it through Internet print and podcast listening, including one in which Amy Chua read an excerpt from her book. Today, my dog walk included listening to a podcast from The New Yorker during which this book was discussed in light of the parenting issues now being widely discussed. It makes me wonder what my parenting style is. I would not define myself as falling within the characteristics of either a Chinese or Western mother.

I strive to apply characteristics of those styles to my attempt at raising what one day will be an intelligent, confident, and successful man.

No comments:

Post a Comment